Do You Get Enough Sleep?

To evaluate whether you are sleep- deprived, answer the following questions.


Yes No

__ __ I need an alarm clock to wakeup at the appropriate time.
__ __ It's a struggle for me to get out of bed in the morning.
__ __ I feel tired, irritable, and stressed out during the week.
__ __ I have trouble concentrating.
__ __ I have trouble remembering.
__ __ I feel slow with critical thinking, problem solving, and being creative.
__ __ I often fall asleep watching TV.
__ __ I often fall asleep in boring meetings or lectures in warm rooms.
__ __ I often fall asleep after heavy meals or after low doses of alcohol.
__ __ I often fall asleep within 5 minutes of getting into bed.
__ __ I often feel drowsy while driving.
__ __ I often sleep extra hours on weekend mornings.
__ __ I often need a nap to get through the day.
__ __ I have dark circles around my eyes.

If you responded "yes" to three or more of these items, you probably are not getting enough sleep.

What to do?

1. Reduce stress as much as possible.
2. Exercise regularly, but not just before you go to bed.
3. Keep mentally stimulated during the day.
4. Become a good time manager.
5. Eat a proper diet.
6. Stop smoking.
7. Reduce caffeine intake.
8. Avoid alcohol, especially near bedtime
9. Take warm bath before bed.
10. Maintain a relaxing atmosphere in the bedroom.
11. Clear your mind at bedtime.
12. Before going to bed, engage in a relaxation technique, such as listening to a tape designed for relaxation.
13. Learn to value sleep
14. If necessary, contact a doctor for advice about your sleeping problem.

0 comments:

Post a Comment